Hillside Public Library began in 1922 as the Hillside Library Association. In 1947 the popularity of the library led the residents of Hillside to pass a referendum officially creating the publicly supported Hillside Public Library. The Hillside Public Library moved to its current location in the Hillside Municipal Building in 1956.
In late 2021, we received a matching grant of $3.9M from the NJ State Library to construct a new library at the corner of Liberty Avenue and Memorial Drive. We hope to finalize the plans and go out to bid on the project by the end of 2022.
Today the library receives over 35,000 visits per year, has over 70,000 print materials, 21 public computers, and over 200 free programs for children and adults annually.