JerseyCat is the free statewide inter-library loan program. Member libraries can borrow books and other materials, and obtain photocopies from participating New Jersey libraries. An agreement with OCLC also allows JerseyCat members to request items from out-of-state libraries if what they need is not available in New Jersey.
How to Request Interlibrary Loans through JERSEYCAT
PLEASE NOTE: A new version of JerseyCat was launched February 1, 2015. Please read the instructions below, as some functions have changed.
FIRST, search the Hillside Public Library’s ONLINE CATALOG to be sure we do not already own the item(s) you want.
If you don’t find the item(s) in our catalog, connect to JERSEYCAT, wait for the program to load, then follow these instructions:
- Click on ‘RESOURCES’ to select the libraries whose collections you
wish to include in your search; the default search does NOT search all
HELPFUL TIP: The more libraries you choose to search, the slower your search will be and the more irrelevant results you may have to wade through. When searching for popular titles or authors, you may need to search only a few nearby libraries for good results. Select more libraries when you are searching for less popular items.
- Enter your keyword(s) (author, title, and/or subject) in the SEARCH box. You can enter a combination of keywords, such as author’s name with a word from the title, or author’s name with a subject keyword (examples: Search ‘baldacci escape’ for The Escape by David Baldacci, or ‘lidia cooking’ for cookbooks by Lidia Bastianich). NOTE: The system will not allow you to request items currently held by the Hillside Public Library. Use our online catalog instead.
- Click the search icon search icon (or press ‘ENTER’ on your keyboard) and wait for your search results to appear.
The search results page will show all items related to your keyword(s). NOTE: You can click one of the icons on the right, above the search results, to display the list in gallery view, list view, or grid view. If you get TOO MANY results, you can click on one of the filters in the left-hand sidebar to narrow your search by subject, author, date, title, publisher, or format. If you get NO results, try changing your keywords, using the Advanced Search option, and/or searching more libraries.
- On the search results page, click on the item you’re interested in
and wait for the list of locations to load. You can then click on the
‘REQUEST THIS ITEM’ button; or, to view additional information about the
item, click on the name of any of the libraries listed under ‘Location
Information’ for the Full Record. NOTE: An item that has only one
location will go directly to the Full Record. From the Full Record page
you can also:
- Request the item
- Email the title information,
- Print the title information,
- View a Google preview, or
- Read user reviews (where available).
Click on ‘BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS’ (beneath the ‘SEARCH RESULTS’ button) to return to your search results list.
- When you click on ‘REQUEST THIS ITEM’, a request form will open. Fill in the request form; you will need to use the scrollbar to access the entire form. INFORMATION HIGHLIGHTED IN RED IS REQUIRED. You will have to create a password. Keep a record of your password; you can use it later to track your ILL request.
- Click ‘SUBMIT’ at the bottom of the request form. Click ‘CANCEL’ to close the form without submitting your request. A message will appear confirming that your interlibrary loan request has been submitted. Click ‘Print Request’ from the ILL menu on the left if you wish to keep a paper copy for your records. From the ILL menu you can also choose either ‘Return to My Results’ or ‘Track My Requests’. Or click the HOME icon on the left-hand tab to start a new search.
- To check on the status of your ILL request(s), click on the ‘TRACK ILL REQUEST’ tab. You must log in with the name and password you used in steps above. Be sure to log in with last name, first name (you don’t need to capitalize or use a comma, and it doesn’t matter whether you include a space after the comma or not) – e.g., ‘smith, mary’ or ‘smith,mary’ or ‘smith mary’ rather than ‘mary smith’. A list of the items you have requested will appear. You cannot cancel a request from this tracking list. You must contact the library to cancel a request.
- Click the HOME icon on the left-hand tab at any time to start a new search.
If you have any questions or difficulties, please call us at 973.923.4413 during Library hours
With thanks to the South Plainfield Public Library for these instructions.